Sample Publications and Presentations
Books and chapters
- Valiela, D., 1984. Improving Predictive Performance and Usefulness of Biological Environmental Impact Assessment: Experimental Impact Studies and Adaptive Impact Assessment. In: Hart, S. L., Enk, G.A., and Hornick, W. F. (Eds.), Improving Impact Assessment: Increasing the Relevance and Utilization of Scientific and Technical Information. Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 440 pp.
- Ward, D. Valiela,1978. Biological Environmental Impact Studies: Theory and Methods. Academic Press, N.Y., 157 pp.
Selected published reports and articles
- Priddle, R., Scott, D., and Valiela, D., 2004. Report of the Public Review Panel on the Government of Canada Moratorium on Offshore Oil and Gas Activities in the Queen Charlotte Region British Columbia. Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa.
- Valiela, D., and Stevenson, N., 2000. Redeveloping a Commercial or Industrial Property: My Site is Contaminated. What Do I Do Now? Canadian Property Management, May/June 2000.
- Stevenson, N., and Valiela, D. 2000. Redeveloping a Contaminated Property: How to Obtain Approval and Other Remediation Tips. Canadian Property Management, April 2000.
- Valiela, D., and 8 other authors, 1987. Water Quality and Quantity Committee Report, Flathead River International Joint Commission Study, Ottawa and Washington, 192 pp.
- Valiela, D., and 5 other authors, 1987. Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Selected Variables in the Canadian Portion of the Flathead River Basin, B.C., Canada. Water Quality Criteria Subcommittee Report, Flathead River International Joint Commission Study, Ottawa and Washington, 76 pp.
- Gunn, R., Valiela, D., and Green, W., 1983. Review of Species Available for Mariculture in B.C. Industrial Development Subsidiary Agreement Research Report, B.C. Ministry of Industry and Small Business Development, Victoria, 94 pp.
Valiela, D., 1979. Oyster Ecology and Culture in British Columbia. Vol. I of the B.C. Oyster Industry: Policy Analysis for Coastal Resource Management. Technical Report #19, Westwater Research Centre, U.B.C., Vancouver, 34 pp.
- Valiela D., 1979. Policies for Development of the B.C. Oyster Industry: Analysis Based on a Computer Simulation Model. Vol. III of the B.C. Oyster Industry: Policy Analysis for Coastal Resource Management. Technical Report #21, Westwater Research Centre, U.B.C., Vancouver, 68 pp.
- Valiela, D., and Kistritz, R.U., 1979. Dependence of Salmon and Fraser Estuarine Marsh Ecosystems: A Simulation Analysis. Technical Report #18, Westwater Research Centre, U.B.C., Vancouver, 51 pp.
- Dorcey, A.H.J., Northcote, T.G. and Ward, D. Valiela, 1978. Are the Fraser Marshes Essential to Salmon? Lecture Report #1, Westwater Research Centre, U.B.C., Vancouver, 29 pp.
Selected presentations and unpublished reports
- “Water Law and Regulation North of 60°”, Obtaining and Securing Project Approvals North of 60°, Canadian Institute conference, Edmonton, Alberta, April 2009.
- “Legal Issues in Environmental Assessment in British Columbia”, Northeast B.C. Oil & Gas, Lawson Lundell Environmental seminar, Calgary, Alberta, March 2008.
- “Environmental Assessment North of 60°: Dealing with Multiple EA Processes”, Environmental Law North of 60°, Canadian Institute conference, Edmonton, Alberta, November 2007.
- “Expanding Environmental Regulatory Authority and Enforcement”, The New World of Environmental Exposure in Canada: Environmental Liability and Insurance Solutions, Canadian Risk and Insurance Management Society webinar, Vancouver, BC, September 2007.
- “Dealing with Mining Legacy – Some Canadian Approaches”, International Mining and Oil and Gas Law, Development, and Investment, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 2007.
- Effects of Land Claims Agreements on Environmental Impact Assessment” , The 8th Annual Aboriginal Land and Resource Management Forum, Insight Information Co. conference, Vancouver, BC, November 2006.
- “Environmental Liability of Directors and Officers”. Contaminated Sites in B.C., Pacific Business and Law Institute conference, Vancouver, BC, February 2006.
- “Will Power Generation Plants be Included in the Review for Approval of Energy Transmission Facilities?” B.C. Energy – The New Playing Field. Canadian Institute conference, Dec. 9‑10, 2002 (with J. McLean).
- “Principal Federal Legislative Jurisdiction Affecting Water Resources”, Canadian Water Law, Law Seminars International conference, Vancouver, BC, October 1999.
- “Key Provincial Environmental Legislation Affecting Forest Practices”, Ensuring Compliance with Forestry Law in B.C. Canadian Institute conference, Nov. 28 & 29, 1996 (with R. Andreone).
- “Policy and Legislation for control of non-point source pollution”. B.C. Ministry of Environment Workshop on Non-Point Source Pollution, March 1995.
- “Canadian Marine Water Quality Guidelines”. Environment Canada/Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment 1995 (with L. Thomas).
- “Draft Recommended Marine Water Quality Guidelines for Aquatic Life”. Ambio Associates report under contract to Environment Canada, 1993.
- “Biodiversity Issues in British Columbia: a Review and Analysis”. Ambio Associates report under contract to West Coast Environmental Law Association, 1992.
- “Conclusions and Recommendations for a Marine Environmental Quality Monitoring Network: Pacific Coast”. Ambio Associates report and workshop under contract to Environment Canada. 1991.